If you’re under 18, there are lots of ways you’ll get help after a crime. And that goes for your parent or guardian too, as long as it helps you.

You don’t have to report the crime to the police to get the support you need.

What happens if you report a crime?

  • When you talk to the police you can have someone with you. They’ll just need to be over 18.
  • If you’ve seen the crime, you might be asked to describe what happened in a witness statement. This can be recorded on video, so you don’t have to repeat it in court.
  • The investigating police officer will let you know in 1 working day what’s happening with the suspect, e.g. if they’re being allowed home before going to court.
  • This officer will also pass your details on to a local support service that can help you recover from the crime and sort out any practical things for you.

If your case goes to court

  • The police will pass your details to the Witness Service, who are based in the court and will be in touch with you before the trial starts. They can answer your questions about what will happen. And they’ll help you until the case is over.
  • The Witness Care Unit will see if you need extra support to give your best evidence. That could include giving evidence by live video link, so you don’t have to be in the courtroom.

Getting support in Worcestershire

Victim Support have a youth programme specifically developed for young victims of crime you can email them at westmercia.varc@victimsupport.org.uk or phone them on Freephone 08 08 16 89 111 

You can find more information about Victim Support here or You & Co, Victims Supports services for children and young people.

victimsupport.org.uk    www.youandco.org.uk